15 September 2010

Black Bean Salad Farmer's Market Style



As a continuation of yesterday's post on Dinner from the Farmer's Market, I thought I'd share with you this lovely lunch made with the vegetables from my farmer's market haul, sardine sandwich on toasted ciabatta topped with slices of fresh heirloom tomatoes seasoned with homemade lavender salt, with black bean salad on the side.  I felt like an Italian grandfather eating this dish, and I was sure to brush my teeth vigorously after it, but it was so soul-satisfyingly good.  

To make the sandwich, I halved and toasted a section of ciabatta bread, opened a tin of sardines packed in water, drained them, added a little mayo and smashed it up.  I smeared the sardines onto the bread and topped with tomatoes and salt.  One tin of sardines made one hearty serving.  On the side, I had this little salad.  The leftovers of it kept for days and kept getting better and better.  Enjoy.

Black Bean Salad Farmer's Market Style by Joie de vivre

Salad Ingredients:

1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
kernels of corn from 3 ears of corn, cooked and cooled
1/2 bulb fennel, chopped somewhat finely
1 red pepper (choose your level of heat) chopped 
1 medium sized red onion, chopped finely
1/3 c. finely chopped cilantro

Dressing:

1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
1/4 c. lime juice (I just used bottled)
1 garlic clove, minced
Pinch of ground cumin
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

1.  Combine all of salad ingredients in a large bowl.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to allow the flavors to meld.
2.  One hour before serving, combine all of the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together.  Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
3.  Before serving, combine the dressing with the salad and stir together.  Salad gets even better the next day. 

13 comments:

appropriated.muffin said...

yum! i love black bean salad - the beans, with the corn, and the freshness of all the ingredients together! so tasty and beautiful! love that pic!

Rhyleysgranny said...

That looks just gorgeous. A perfect snack. Is that a wee bit of lavender on the tomatoes? I never thought of that. What was it like?

Anonymous said...

A terrific salad - love the combo of black beans & corn!

Rita said...

I love black bean salad in along time; it is so good with the corn.

Brownieville Girl said...

I'll have to try this salad soon - the lavender salt is a fantastic idea.

Rhyleysgranny said...

I have some lavender salt I bought in Spain but I haven't used yet Thanks for the inspiration :)

melissa said...

lavendar salt? tell me more!

From the Kitchen said...

That sandwich looks delicious! And the black bean salad would make me happy for lunch or dinner. I would have not thought of the fennel but I think it would be very good for another layer of taste and texture. Thanks!

Best,
Bonnie

Reeni said...

I'm laughing because my Grandfather would always try to get me to eat sardines when I was a kid. But if he had served them to me like this I might of went for it - how delicious with the lavender!

Dee said...

I love that entire photo full of food! Yummy. Sounds so good & looks even better.

Chris said...

I'm with you on the black bean salad but I'll pass on the sardine sandwich, ha ha. Glad to see you posting again!

pierre said...

bravo for your recipe this is very tempting and many thanks for your visit on my blog CHeers Pierre de Paris

Barbara Bakes said...

I make a similar black bean salad. So fresh and tasty!

ShareThis