19 October 2010
Pumpkin Buckwheat Breakfast
I got a bee in my bonnet this week for eating pumpkin for breakfast after reading a post by Josie at The Skinny Way of Life where she put pumpkin in her oatmeal. I had never even thought of eating pumpkin in this way before, but the idea of adding it to whole grains for breakfast really resonated with me. I started rifling through my grains and came across a neglected bag of raw buckwheat groats. Why has it been neglected you ask? I am not a fan of buckwheat, it is just a little too earthy for me. However, I thought if I add pumpkin to it, perhaps it would mask the earthy smell! I soaked the buckwheat groats overnight in a saucepan and in the morning, they were ready to eat after cooking for a short 10 minutes. After adding the pumpkin, a little honey, and some pumpkin pie spice, my breakfast was good to go. Pouring nonfat milk over the top made the whole dish creamy and yummy. It was like eating pumpkin pie for breakfast! My new favorite way to eat whole grains for breakfast.
Pumpkin Buckwheat Breakfast by Joie de vivre
1/4 c. raw buckwheat groats
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. canned pumpkin
1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
2 tsp. honey
1 c. nonfat milk
1 tsp. flaxseed oil (optional)
1. Soak the buckwheat groats in the water overnight in a small saucepan with a lid.
2. In the morning, remove the lid and place the saucepan over high heat. Bring the water to a boil, then place the lid on the pan and lower the heat to low. Gently simmer for 10 minutes.
3. After 10 minutes, remove the pan from the heat. Check to see that all of the water has been absorbed by the groats. If not, put over low heat until the water has been absorbed. Leave the lid on the pot so the groats can steam while you get the other ingredients put together.
4. Into your breakfast cereal bowl, add 1/2 pumpkin. Add the pumpkin pie spice and the honey and mix together. If desired, add the flaxseed oil.
5. Mix the pumpkin, honey and flaxseed oil together and then add the cooked buckwheat.
6. Mix the buckwheat and the pumpkin mixture together and pour milk over it as desired. Enjoy.