19 March 2009

Braised Lamb Shanks with Tomatoes


Oh yeah, you go ahead and drool, this was totally drool-worthy!  I am a big fan of braising meat, smelling those wonderful aromas as tough cuts of meat break down until they are falling off of the bone they are so tender.  A few weeks ago, I noticed lamb shanks in the freezer section of my wonderful local butcher.  I had never seen them there before, and as everything is always so fresh and good from there, I didn't even hesitate over the thought about how to cook them before snatching them up.  The woman helping me actually gave me a photocopied recipe that I used as inspiration here.  Braising the lamb shanks does take a few hours, but they are so delicious, it is time well spent.  This would be a fabulous dish to serve for Easter dinner.

Braised Lamb Shanks with Tomatoes by Joie de vivre

Ingredients:

4 Tbls. olive oil
4 lbs. lamb shanks (2 big shanks)
2 medium onions, peeled and diced
5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 c. dry white wine
1 c. chopped tomatoes, drained
1/4 c. orange juice
about 1 quart chicken stock
1 tsp. dried rosemary
1 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
2 bay leaves
1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. sugar
salt and pepper to taste
4 small waxy potatoes, quartered and placed in cold water to cover

Directions:

1.  Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2.  In a large Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.  Brown the lamb shanks on all sides and set aside.  
3.  Add a little more olive oil to the Dutch oven if necessary and add the chopped onions.  Cook until softened and starting to brown a little.  Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, stirring.  
4.  Add the white wine, scraping up any bits that have stuck to the bottom of the pan.  Stir in all the ingredients EXCEPT the lamb, salt and pepper, and the potatoes.  Taste the sauce and adjust the salt and pepper.  Add the lamb.  If needed, add water or more chicken stock to cover the lamb shanks.  
5.  Bring to a simmer, cover with the lid, and place the Dutch oven into the pre-heated oven for 1 hour.
6.  After an hour, drain the potatoes and add them to the Dutch oven stirring a little so they are covered with the sauce. 
7.  Place the Dutch oven back into the oven and cook for an additional 2-3 hours until the meat on the lamb shank is falling off the bone and the potatoes are cooked through.
8.  Remove the Dutch oven from the oven.  Place the lamb shanks and the potatoes to a plate and set aside.  Remove the bay leaves from the sauce, then use an immersion blender to puree the rest of the sauce.  Serve this sauce as an accompaniment to the lamb and potatoes.

38 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those lamb shanks look awesome - definitely drooling :)

Cathy said...

This looks amazing! Braising has got to be one of my preferred methods of cooking - I just never seem to have enough time to do it!

Sarah said...

There is nothing in the recipe that does not sound perfectly scrumptious, yum!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of braising meat too! Love the one pot dish! Yours looks great!

Jo said...

I love lamb shanks but have not ventured that far as in cooking it myself. Yours look so moist and tender, delicious.

Jo said...

I love lamb shanks but have not ventured that far as in cooking it myself. Yours look so moist and tender, delicious.

Netts Nook said...

Oh Joie your lamb looks great I can't wait to try a Shank I have recently done chops and rack of lamb.
Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Heather S-G said...

My mouth actually is watering a bit...

Sheila said...

My family loves lamb but I only have made it twice before. I bought a leg of lamb the other day intending to use it for St. Patrick's Day, but my back had other plans unfortunately:( Now I am left with a leg of lamb and have a recipe that looks terrific to use it for!

Sunny said...

Oooh, those look delish! I've never tried lamb shanks but they sure look good.

Bob said...

That looks fantastic, I've been wanting to try lamb shanks forever.

Sophia Lee said...

I've never tried braising before...but you make it sound so easy and delish!

Anonymous said...

I love braised lamb shanks... and it's so easy to make.

Pam said...

The meat looks so tender! Braising is the best.

Wandering Coyote said...

I'm not a fan of lamb at all, but that does look good! I posted a response to your question on my blog, BTW.

The Duo Dishes said...

We've never braised before, but it always sounds so. good. Unbelievable in fact. We can smell it now...

Chef E said...

I love braised shanks! Nice looking portion for me right? You also just reminded me I have oxtails in the freezer I just bought...hmmmmm what to cook next...

Kiezie said...

You know I haven't cared for lamb but it's been about 34 years. 1975 to be exact. You are making me rethink this! LOL!!

Varsha Vipins said...

Now..now I cant stop drooling..!!..Oh..don torture me like this Joie..slurpp..:)

Talita said...

Yummyyyy! Lamb is delicious! I never tried a recipe like that! Sounds awesome!

Reeni said...

I'm not a big lamb eater, but if I were this would be the way to go!

Anonymous said...

Oh, wow... really yummy!

NuKiwi said...

Yummm...lamb shanks are my hubby's fav treat! Looks like they were cooked to perfection!

Karen Brown Letarte said...

Yum, yum!! Orange and tomato are magic together! I've never tried lamb shank, but it sure looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

Yum, that would be beautifully tender. It's great to be able to walk away and smell it cooking too :)

Anonymous said...

I love lamb shanks! And I'm always open to new recipes of it. I've never used wine with lambs. Thank you for sharing.

MaryBeth said...

I have never eaten lamb but this looks really good...what exactly does lamb taste like?

Anonymous said...

Love the addition of the oj. Looks wonderful! Love to braise--tastes like so much work!

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

It is a week for lamb! And for eating down the freezer! Looks wonderful!

Heather said...

mmm. my husband loves lamb (and so do i). this looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

This definitely has me drooling!

Maris said...

I have never actually braised meat but I'm trying to get into cooking more meat and poultry and less pasta/veggies/breads etc. These look hearty and delicious.

Donna-FFW said...

Holy Cow!! These look unbelievably delicious!! You presented them beautifully.. I love your photo.. it leaves me wanting!!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic! I love braised shanks and the addition of orange juice and cloves is really unusual. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

Tangled Noodle said...

We love lamb but until now have only made boneless leg and loin chops. My husband would insist I make this the moment he sees this picture. I've used my slow cooker to braise - I wonder if your recipe could be adapted for it? I might be worth a try b/c my crockpot is such a good friend!

Olga said...

i absolutely love lamb! whenever i'm eating out i always order it, but for some reason have never made it at home.

Jan said...

YUM!!!! Is all I can say!

Karen said...

I am drooling... this look so delicious and I just love lamb!

ShareThis