09 March 2009

Weight Loss Weekly

Weight Loss weekly is a weekly collaboration between me and three other bloggers who are trying to lose weight.  Join me, Nurit, Sunny, Giyen as we discuss success, failures, tips and pitfalls on our weight loss journeys.

This week the topic was chosen my yours truly!  I ask, "Discuss the progress you've made in the past six weeks.  (Since we've started Weight loss weekly)  What are successes you've had and pitfalls you've fallen into along the way?"

Successes:

1.  I have lost 4 pounds.  This is not a fast weight loss, but the changes I am making are lifestyle changes.  I am learning about myself, portion control, meal pacing, proper bite size, and these are all things that may not show quick results, but they are habits that will support lifetime weight loss.

2.  I have been pretty consistently (and honestly) keeping my food journal on my Twitter account.  Follow me!  It has not been easy being honest with myself through this, but I am learning to be honest so that I can eat without guilt.  The journal has also made me VERY conscious of portion control and balancing my meals.  

3.  Six weeks ago, I was wearing size 14 pants that were extremely tight.  I am still wearing the size 14 pants, but they are a little loose now!  I especially notice the looseness in the rear and legs of the pants.

4.  I am still motivated about changing my lifestyle.

5.  I went from the fourth to the fifth hole on my watchband.  (When I first started losing weight a year ago now, I was on the third!)

6.  I've learned to share restaurant meals with my husband to help with portion control.  I have gotten better about keeping portions smaller at home by slowing down and enjoying my food and eating quality food.  (rather than quantity food)

Pitfalls I've had along the way:

1.  Towards the beginning, I really struggled with the scale.  I would check myself every day and need that little boost that comes from knowing I did well.  Then I would have a setback, eat too much at a meal, gain a little, and feel guilty!  I have learned to relax a little about the scale.  This is a process!  If I eat too much at one meal, I can compensate at the next by eating lighter.  If I've enjoyed myself, I need to stop beating myself up about it.  I did weigh myself this morning for this post, but previous to that, it had probably been 3 weeks.

2.  I still struggle with eating too quickly.  Today, I was having a sandwich at a local grocery store.  It wasn't the best ambiance, but I tried to slow down and put the sandwich down between bites.  Bite, put sandwich down, chew, chew, chew, swallow, then pick the sandwich up again.  It was that simple.  That simple act slowed me down so much and I felt satisfied after eating slightly less than half of the sandwich.  I am usually one to have my next bite on the fork while I am still chewing the previous bite.  Why am I eating this fast?  I am sure that if I can conquer this ONE THING, I could probably be completely satisfied eating 1/3 to 1/2 less than what I am eating now.

3.  I still struggle with motivating myself to go out and walk.  I do it, I guess I was just hoping that someday I wouldn't have to motivate myself to do it and it would just be something that I do.  If it doesn't become something I don't have to motivate myself to do, I am afraid that I could easily go back to being a couch potato, and I really don't want to!  (That is what is motivating me now.)

Here are teasers on what the other girls have to say about their successes and pitfalls.  Click over to their sites to read their full stories and to cheer them on!

Nurit says:

"Let’s begin with success. I lost 3 pounds. I’m not sure what made it happen because I don’t feel like I did anything special or made any sacrifices. I have done a few changes in eating habits since January 2009 which might explain this weight loss, and they are..." Keep reading at 1 family. friendly. food. (http://www.familyfriendlyfood.com/)

Sunny says:

"So my successes? Well, since the end of December, I've lost about 8 pounds! I'm fitting into my clothes so much better, and yesterday I was able to wear a skirt that I haven't been able to fit into in awhile! Pitfalls? Yes, many..." Keep reading at www.ThatExtra20Pounds.blogspot.com

Giyen says:
“2009 has been wrought with extreme highs and lows. I am slowly winning my battle with weight, I am settling into my life’s purpose, I am finally realizing that joy lies within the present.” For more, go to Bacon is my enemy

15 comments:

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

This is such a wonderful journey you 3 are under taking. With the support I know all of you will be successful!

Sunny said...

I can identify with the things you're struggling with. But 4 pounds is a great loss!! And it's good you're still feeling positive, I could use some of your positive energy!! :)

Chef E said...

Sounds like you are doing good! I like the part about chew chew chew. When we went out Saturday I had two appetizers, and did not order entree, and hubby eats off my plate, so it works out...I look forward to being at least a fourteen again!

Anonymous said...

Good morning!
I'm with you 100%. I like your attitute towards all this. And seems like we struggle with the same things. But we Will do it. I know it.

Anonymous said...

whaaaaaaaat? where did my comment go?

Anonymous said...

Bummer... where did my comment go? OK, let's start again...
I love your life approach to this and relaxing about the process. I'm with 100% and seem to struglle with the same things. But, we WILL do it!!!

Reeni said...

That's so great-the four pounds and your pants being looser. I really like your attitude. I'm trying to adapt a similar one. I'm keeping in mind that it's a process...

Claudia said...

Congrats with four pounds! That is "huge!" I am struggling with weight for the first time in my (now) middle-aged life. Before, when I wanted to loseweight - it just came off. Now, it appears the fat cells have fallen in love with me and are going nowhere. My love of pasta doesn't help. I am hoping spring inspires fresh vegetable eating!

Tangled Noodle said...

Your progress is the right kind - complete lifestyle, not just a number on the scale. I like how you notice the small indicators, like your watchband. I've found that the strategies we employ to help with weight loss and healthier eating eventually become good habits that we no longer worry about - it happens naturally! Congratulations on your progress!

Crazy Pants said...

Congratulations on all your successes. In a few months those size 14 pants won't even fit, I'm sure of it!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are doing a great job! And these are some awesome self-observations and tips!

Anonymous said...

It's such a great boost when clothes that were once tight start to feel looser. Good for you!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Good for you on continuing the weight loss program. It's not easy and I hate to confess (because I know it first hand), it doesn't get any easier as you get older. You are doing it the right way and I'm proud of you.
I've got my copy of Mindless Eating and I'm ready for Friday. See you then.
Sam

Robin said...

Good for you one your continued weight loss. It is a tough journey for sure. So many yummy and tempting foods that I just need to keep out of the house. I agree with you, we all need to slow way down while eating. I eat on the fly too much! I have given up with the scale. We don't own one. When I go to the gym I may weigh myself there. I just go by how my clothes fit. It they get very lose then I will weigh my self to see how well I am doing. If too tight then I know I have to cut back! I love all of your tips and stories, it is motivating!

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) said...

I lost 4 in 6 weeks as well. I'm proud of both of us! I'm glad you are keeping up the positive attitude!

ShareThis