03 March 2009

Poached Pears in a Cranberry-Brandy Sauce


I love lazy Sunday lunches (with lazy Sunday desserts!)  On a quest towards healthier living, I created this healthy dessert, and I do have to say, it was lovely!  It's made in the crock-pot so it's super simple to put it in and forget about it until you're ready to eat.

Poached Pears in Cranberry-Brandy Sauce by Joie de vivre

Ingredients:
 
Yeild:  8 servings

1 1/2 cups cranberries
8 pears, peeled, halved and cored
2/3 c. water
1/2 c. white sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. brandy
zest and juice of 1 lime
Whipped cream, to serve

Directions:

1.  In the insert of a 6 qt. crock pot, combine the cranberries, pears, water, sugars, brandy and zest and juice of lime.  Stir gently to coat the pears.
2.  Cover the crock pot and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours until the berries have burst and the pears are tender.
3.  To serve, give each person two pear halves and some sauce.  Pass the whipped cream to top.

21 comments:

Meg said...

I love that it is healthy! Delicious!

Anonymous said...

I love your healthy dessert ideas. This is another delicious recipe!

Sara said...

I love crockpot recipes, this looks like a fun one to try!

Cathy said...

This looks great - and what a great idea for an easy dessert!

Gera@SweetsFoodsBlog said...

Your pears in this amazing sweet sauce are calling my name Gera..can you hear them? I'm drooling here!

Sarah said...

Yum, I did a poached pear for an event and it was a huge hit!

Finla said...

Looks yummy and delicious and really healthy too.

Kiezie said...

This sings to my heart!! :) I can't wait to try this!! I have an award for you too! http://chefbliss.blogspot.com/2009/03/blog-bites-lot-of-award-love.html

Kiezie said...

I guess I should mention that it's TWO awards!! :)

Bob said...

Mmmmm, poached pears.

Chef E said...

Yep hubby would so want to eat dinner here and head to your house for your desserts...he is the fruit eater, and I just want chocolate!

I cannot find my crockpot in storage???

Anonymous said...

Fruity desserts make us feel better about eating our treats!

Varsha Vipins said...

oh..i just love Pear..:)

Tina said...

What a wonderful combination. You ought to have your own cooking show :-)

jesse said...

Healthy and yet it looks so decadent... yum!!!

Tangled Noodle said...

This would make a perfect dessert for dinner parties - it can be started ahead of everything else and served so temptingly warm and delicious!

Sam said...

poached pears are just fantastic, cranberry brandy sauce sounds delicious! I love them poached in red wine too.

pigpigscorner said...

Sounds like a lovely and healthy dessert!

Reeni said...

How delicious! You make the best 'healthy' desserts. And you are the crockpot Queen!

Tina said...

You are fab - Here is a prize:


http://tinaculbertson.blogspot.com/2009/03/fabulous-award.html

Anonymous said...

ah-ha! the crockpot was used... great idea. these look excellent. we did something similar for christmas day dinner a few years ago but it was in red wine with cloves, etc. it went so well with the roasted goose! healthy too.

ShareThis