11 October 2008

Goulash Soup


In order to fuel my cookbook obsession and not break my bank account, I have started to rely on my public library.  Every couple of weeks I load up my basket with all sorts of cookbooks that I would probably never buy, but just want to peruse.  Every once in a while however, I come across a book that I can't bear to return.  The first was a cookbook called The African News Cookbook that had the best recipe for injera I have ever found and a Doro Wat recipe I crave.  Splendid Soups by James Peterson, found just this week, may be my second.  Now that the weather is turning colder, I have been craving soup.  My library selections this week all revolved around soup as I was seeking out some warm comfort.  I found a recipe for Goulash Soup that fit the bill for me.  It used up some of the fall vegetables we have been getting in our CSA basket and was nice and hearty.  I adapted James Peterson's recipe quite a bit to fit my cooking style, ingredients on hand, and to make it quicker and it turned out quite tasty.  It made a huge pot of soup so we had the leftovers tonight which were just as good if not better than the first night.  Enjoy!

Goulash Soup by Joie de vivre

Serves at least 8

3 lbs. beef chuck cut into 1 inch cubes
2 Tbls. olive oil
2 medium sized onions, peeled and chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. caraway seeds
2 Tbls. paprika
2 quarts beef broth
4 tomatoes, chopped, or 1- 28 oz. can chopped tomatoes, drained
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 lbs. potatoes chopped coarsely 
1 recipe miniature dumplings (see below)

Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pot over high heat.  Add the meat, garlic and onion and cook until onions are softened, about 10 minutes.  Add the caraway and the paprika and stir over the heat for 1 minute more.  Add the broth and the tomatoes.  Add the bay leaf and bring soup to a gentle simmer.  Partially cover the pot and simmer for 2 hours.  After 2 hours, add the potatoes to the soup and continue simmering for 30 minutes.  Drop teaspoonfuls of dumpling batter onto the top of the soup and simmer for 5 minutes.  

Miniature Dumplings adapted from Splendid Soups by James Peterson

4 large eggs
3/4 cup flour
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbls. melted butter

Wisk eggs, flour and salt in a mixing bowl.  Stir in melted butter.  Let the batter rest for 30 minutes in the refrigerator until ready to drop a teaspoonful at a time onto soup.

1 comment:

Sam said...

I love anything with dumplings in! I've bookmarked this one.

ShareThis