15 January 2009

Challah


I was inspired by the folks at King Arthur Flour again with their beautifully explained post titled Challah-lujah.  I varied their recipe, but mine still turned out beautifully.  I am submitting this post to the weekly Yeastspotting event which now has my mouth watering for some fresh bread!

Challah by Joie de vivre inspired by King Arthur Flour blog

Ingredients:
3/4 cup lukewarm water
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup honey
2 large eggs
4 cups bread flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbls. instant yeast

Glaze:
1 large egg, beaten
1 Tbls. cold water

Directions:
1.  Combine all the bread ingredients in a large bowl.  Mix well then turn out onto the counter and knead well until smooth.
2.  Place the dough ball in a greased bowl, turn it over so that the dough is lightly greased on all sides, then cover and leave to rise about 3 hours, until it is doubled.
3.  Gently deflate the dough and separate it into 4 equal parts.
4.  Take each part and roll into a 15 inch long rope.  Let each rest a few minutes then continue to roll until the ropes measure about 21 inches each.
5.  Lay the strands parallel to each other, pinch them together on one side, then follow these directions from King Arthur Flour on how to braid a 4 strand braid.
6.  Gently place the loaf on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
7.  Cover and let rise at least 45 minutes (or as long as it takes) to get nice and puffed.
8.  Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
9.  Whisk together the glaze ingredients and gently brush on top of the loaf.
10.  Optional:  Sprinkle heavily with sesame seeds.
11.  Place your baking sheet on top of another baking sheet to insulate the bottom of the loaf.
12.  Bake the challah for 20 minutes.  Tent the challah loosely with aluminum foil to prevent it from browning too much and bake for another 25 minutes.
13.  Remove the bread from the oven and cool on a rack.


33 comments:

Chef E said...

Oh my that is beautiful bread, and I love the napkin or table cloth you used as the back drop! My friend Gen suggested she found a good bread recipe she wants me to make...here I go again getting myself into the baking mode...you are an awesome cook and mother, your family is blessed to have you!

Kiezie said...

Oh, I love fresh bread, and yours look wonderful! I bring you luck & resolutions for the new year! Check out todays blog post, if you will...

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous challah!

Abigail (aka Mamatouille) said...

Oh my word. Oh my word. Oh my word. That is JUST beautiful!

nini said...

I think your loaf looks better than the one that was on the King Arthur sight.

Varsha Vipins said...

Am out of words..My my..That gorgeous..Hats off to you Joie..lovely..:)

Joie de vivre said...

Oh my, you all make me blush. :)

Meg said...

Beautiful challah. This could be used for some great French toast.

Reeni said...

What a beautiful and perfect loaf of bread! I bet it's really delicious!

NuKiwi said...

What a gorgeous loaf! I love making challah bread - it's FANTASTIC for french toast (aka Eggy Bread). Just lovely!!!

Bits said...

I'm glad I found your site. Lovely recipes and tips! Will definitely add your feed to my blog.

Navita (Gupta) Hakim said...

hey dear thanks for following and the challah...hmm..i can smell the freshly baked bread...sinff sniff...
love the look too. :)

AJ said...

Hi,
The challah looks beautiful! Thanks for visiting my blog. Am delighted you liked the Vasilopita!! I too was delighted with the result. The recipe is a keeper.

Apu

Bob said...

Wow, that is one fine looking loaf of bread. I love challah, it makes the best french toast.

CurryLeaf said...

I had seen Arthur flour challah.This looks perfect .

Unknown said...

looks really perfect..has turned out so beautiful..

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Your challah is beautiful. I know I would be timid about braiding the dough.

Tina said...

This may be a dopey question but.....could you use all-purpose flour or does it absolutely have to be cake flour? We don't have the King Arthur brand where I live. It IS a beautiful loaf of bread.

Tina

grace said...

challah never fails to impress me. it's hard enough to make bread, but to braid it is a whole different story--bravo!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous challah! Thanks so much for participating in YeastSpotting.

Tangled Noodle said...

So pretty! I haven't yet graduated from my bread machine but this is something I should try! I've seen bloggers who are members of such groups as Yeastspotting and Daring Bakers - I wonder if that's just what I need to motivate me to do some baking.

Tangled Noodle said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement on my site! I'm glad you mentioned that you'd intended to start the bread in your machine. I was thinking I could do the same and work my way to all 'handmade'. I love my bread machine but was never overly fond of the upright, rectangular shape - not very loaf-like at all.

Mary Bergfeld said...

This is a beautiful bread. Thanks for sharing.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

You make this look very feasible, even for me. After a warm beef brisket sandwich in challah the other day, maybe I could replicate the whole thing on my own...

Anonymous said...

I always love how pretty braided bread looks.

Dewi said...

Beautiful challah, I love making this especially if my father in law is visiting.
Cheers,
Elra

Anonymous said...

You Challah looks fantastic. I love making french toast with the leftovers.

Anonymous said...

I was just thinking about making Challah today - weird coincidence that I came across this post not 10 minutes later?

Yasmeen said...

The beauty of Challah can't be beat. Perfectly braided and love the nutty sesame topping,deeelectable:)

amycaseycooks said...

Made my firsst loaf of challah last week - then had to make two more because our family liked it o much.

Your loaf looks perfect.

Julie Jams said...

Great post!

Sam said...

Wow what beautiful bread, it really does look fantastic!

ShareThis