10 March 2010

Gazpacho yogurt cheese

Have you ever made yogurt cheese?  In an effort to branch out from only using hummus to dip my raw veggies in, I came up with this YUMMY recipe yesterday using yogurt cheese.  Yogurt cheese is what you get when you strain the whey from yogurt.  The longer you strain it, the more creamy and dense it becomes.  I strained my yogurt cheese for about 18 hours and it had a consistency between cream cheese and sour cream.  It tasted really decadent with much less fat than cream cheese.

I have a special yogurt cheese strainer which I bought for about $18 from Amazon, it does make the process easier, the container is small enough to fit into a packed fridge and clean up is really easy, but if you don't want to pay for a special strainer, you can recreate a yogurt strainer by lining a colander with several layers of cheesecloth, placing the yogurt in the cheesecloth, and then putting the colander in a bowl to catch the drips.  However you do it, you need to find space in your refrigerator for whatever contraption you use.  I filled my yogurt strainer with about 2 1/2 c. yogurt and got about 1 1/2 c. yogurt cheese.  You can then use your yogurt cheese just like cream cheese.  Enjoy the recipe!

Gazpacho Flavored Yogurt Cheese by Joie de vivre
Yeilds:  about 2 1/2 c.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 c. yogurt cheese
1 c. seeded tomato, chopped finely
1 green onion, white and green parts, chopped finely
1 cucumber, seeded and peeled, chopped finely
1/8 c. red pepper, chopped finely
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. garlic powder

Directions:

1.  Place all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix together.
2.  Eat as a vegetable or a cracker dip.

8 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

I love your yoghurt cheese...would be really good with some sourdough bread.

Jenn said...

I think this is the first time I've heard of yogurt cheese. It looks really good though. Spread on some toast. Yum!!!

Anonymous said...

How special, I would love to try to make this! Great idea with the gazpacho flavor - so refreshing!

Bob said...

I never knew such a thing existed. I have to try it!

Meeta K. Wolff said...

awesome idea! sounds like something i could do using my homemade quark!

Hornsfan said...

Very cool, I've never made yogurt cheese but will absolutely have to give it a try!

Jill said...

I am loving all the things you are making. You are giving me new ideas to try and get more veggies in my diet and spice up my breakfast. I still don't think I can eat marmite. Wish I could give you my big jar of it! I will have to try yogurt cheese.

tasteofbeirut said...

We eat yogurt cheese every day for breakfast in my home country of Lebanon and usually with a bit of olive oil, olives, tomatoes and cucumbers and pita bread; we call it labneh. Glad you are making it and enjoying it!

ShareThis