26 March 2010
Lentil Soup with Spinach
Little League started this week and I have been one busy mommy! Thank goodness I have some healthy crock pot recipes up my sleeve. It is such a relief to get dinner going in the morning, and be reassured that my family will have something healthy and nourishing to eat after a day of rush, rush, rush.
Lentil Soup with Spinach by Joie de vivre
Serves: at least 6
1 c. brown lentils
1 Tbls. olive oil
2 onions, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. cumin seeds
1 tsp. lime zest
2 yellow potatoes (I used Yukon gold), peeled and chopped
8 cups chicken stock
5 oz. spinach per person (I'm a spinach eater)
1. Heat a large saucepan over medium heat and add the olive oil.
2. Saute the onions, carrots and celery until the onions are translucent. Add the minced garlic, cumin seeds and the lime zest and continue to cook for 30 seconds. Remove from the heat and add to your crock pot.
3. Rinse the lentils in a colander under cold water and add to the crock pot.
4. Add the potatoes and the chicken stock to your crock pot, cover and cook on LOW 8-10 hours.
5. When ready to serve, heat a large pot with a lid over medium heat. Add 1 Tbls. olive oil, add spinach, stir around with tongs to cover with oil and put the lid on the pot. Let the spinach cook for exactly 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
6. To serve, place a large serving (about 3/4 c.) sauteed spinach at the bottom of each bowl and ladle the soup over it. Enjoy!
Posted by Joie de vivre at 9:42 AM