24 February 2010

Healthy Potato Salad

After yesterday morning's "Bring it on" comment, I'm pretty sure I jinxed myself. My brain was just fuzzy all day and I was just plain tired. I hate oncoming colds. Lunch was a piece of whole wheat bread smeared with peanut butter, an apple, carrot sticks, 1/2c. nonfat cottage cheese and 1/2 c. healthy potato salad. The potato salad was FILLING!

Healthy Potato Salad
by Joie de vivre

Ingredients:

3 red skinned potatoes, each cut into 8-16 wedges (leave the skin on)
1/2 c. frozen green beans
1/2 c. carrot slices
1 c. whole wheat pasta, cooked according to package directions and drained
1 Tbls. olive oil
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dried dill

Directions:

1. Place potatoes, frozen green beans and carrots in a steamer basket, cover and steam for 10-12 minutes until the potatoes are soft.
2. Place potato mixture and the cooked pasta in a large bowl. Add olive oil, salt and dill and stir to combine.
After such a filling and healthy lunch, I thought I was good to go, but around 4pm I bowed to the siren call of Spudnut doughnuts. I really think it was the oncoming cold as my head just felt fuzzy all day! To make up for the afternoon's indiscretion (ha!) dinner was turkey burgers on wheat buns, green beans, 1 c. cultured Bulgarian buttermilk, and potato salad which I didn't end up eating.
See, my turkey burger is happy I'm back on track. Speaking of fuzzy, I ended up putting the ketchup and mustard on the bottom of my burger! It was so strange to eat it that way that I had to turn the whole thing upside down. I just couldn't take the ketchup and mustard being on the bottom!
This morning is a new day, although even after a good night's sleep my brain is still a little fuzzy. Shredded wheat, milk, blueberries, water and coffee. Do you notice our rockin' retro flower cups? They used to belong to my husband's grandmother. Unfortunately they are starting to show their age and one by one are starting to crack, but they are fun to drink out of. Have a great day everyone!

4 comments:

Bob said...

I'm intrigued by the potato salad, I admit it. Heh.

Anonymous said...

I like your salad with combo of potatoes and pasta, very nutritious and yummy!

Not sure how many blogs I visit :) At least as many as the comments I get, I think.

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

Looks fabulous... sorry I haven't been around for awhile, I moved to the US Virgin Islands (I still giggle when I say that) for six months, and it is taking awhile to get settled. But i do think I am caught up, and will be back with new postings...

Come take a look at my new blogs of Island life!

And love the happy face!

Lori Lynn said...

The potato salad sounds great. I've recently become a fan of whole wheat pasta.
LL

ShareThis