07 February 2009

Baguettes


That's right baby, I made these!  These are the baguettes I used for the Grilled Sardine Croutes in my Imagining Avignon post.  They were surprisingly easy and I plan on making these again this Sunday to go along with lunch.  This recipe comes from French Women Don't Get Fat by Mireille Guiliano.  I'm sending this recipe over to Susan at WildYeast for her YeastSpotting event.  Enjoy!

Baguettes adapted from French Women Don't Get Fat by Mireille Guiliano

Yield:  4 baguettes 
Ingredients:

1 tsp. active dry yeast
4 1/2 c. all purpose flour
2 c. warm water
2 tsp. salt
1 egg, plus 1 tsp. cold water, beaten.

Directions:

1.  In a large bowl, combine the water and the yeast and let rest for 5 minutes.
2.  Add the flour and the salt to the water/yeast mixture and mix until it holds together.
3.  Turn the dough out onto your clean counter and knead for 8-10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
4.  Put the dough into a lightly greased bowl, cover with Saran Wrap and let the dough rise in a warm spot until doubled, about 1 hour.
5.  Gently deflate dough and divide it into 4 equal pieces.  Roll each piece into a baguette shape and transfer loaves (two to each pan) to non-stick baking pans or use a baguette shaped baking pan.  Cover with Saran Wrap again and let rise until nearly doubled (another hour).
6.  Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.  In the bottom of the oven, place a baking pan or a cast iron skillet to warm.  Boil some water on the stove in a kettle.
7.  Score loaves diagonally with a sharp knife.  Brush the baguettes with the egg/water mixture.
8.  Place the loaves in the oven.  Add the boiling water (about 2 cups) to the cast iron skillet in the bottom of the oven to add steam to the oven.  Quickly close the oven door to trap the steam.
9.  Bake the loaves for 15 minutes, then lower the temperature to 400 degrees F and bake for 5 to 10 minutes more until golden brown.
10.  Remove from oven and place on a cooling rack until thoroughly cool before slicing.


29 comments:

Unknown said...

that looks perfect and wonderful...yet to try them..

Kim, Ordinary Recipes Made Gourmet said...

Mmmmm... I must try this... I LOVE bread! Oh it must have smelled you good when you were making this!

Bob said...

Man, I love a good baguette! I've been meaning to make some myself. :)

Reeni said...

Those are gorgeous!!!

Wandering Coyote said...

Those look beautiful - great job!

Kiezie said...

You have answered my prayers. Brilliant!

(I am apparently still on the 6 word kick!!)

Cathy said...

Wow!! I'm definitely going to have to try this next weekend!!!

Alicia Foodycat said...

They are beautiful! Well done.

Sippity Sup said...

That is so weird I have been practicing baguettes myself twice this week. I was hoping to perfect a technique for a home oven and it seems you have. I'll try this version next. GREG

Anonymous said...

Those baguettes are wonderful! There's nothing better than a fresh bread just out of the oven. Delicious!

Varsha Vipins said...

wow..Baguettes.love 'em

Meg said...

Beautiful! I am so impressed!

Esi said...

Kudos to you! I haven't tried making a baguette yet, but it looks wonderful!

bluffy said...

Aw..
Thats make me hungry. I'll ask my mom to help me make this umm.. baguettes.
Hope she'll do that. :)

About Edward Cullen,
Yesss!! He was totally awesome. I love him so muchhh... I've finished all twilight series too.
And thats cool. Love it.

Anonymous said...

They look so great! You've made me want to run out and get baguette pans.

Recipeswap said...

This looks extra good because of the color.......wish I could take a bite.

Peter M said...

After my recenet successes making bread, I welcome every post showing off bread.

The baguettes look awesome...to the Seine with baguette, cheese, vin and viandes!

Julie said...

They are boo-tiful!

Chef E said...

What can I say...perfection! Have a bite with some french butter for me please :)

Sam said...

Wow, I'm impressed. They look fantastic!

The Peanut Butter Boy said...

Baguettes, how I miss them. My sister and I used to be addicted. When our family went to Canada or France our parents would buy us each a baguette and stick it in our backpacks and we would just eat them all day. And we had a favorite bakery near our doctor's office that sold "ficelle's" (I think?) that were the same length as baguettes but much skinnier and therefore more crusty goodness! Never thought to make em, these bring back memories!

Anonymous said...

Oooh, fresh baguettes, I'm jealous!

amycaseycooks said...

I have been making more of my own bread lately. I have a hard time spending $4 or $5 on a loaf of store bought bread that I can make for pennies a loaf.

I am giving your recipe a try. Thanks.

Satisfying my Sweet Tooth said...

Those baguettes are beautiful! And they look easy enough. I think I'll try it!

Anonymous said...

Your baguettes look great as does your new theme. Nice job:-)

Dana Fallentine said...

I can't wait to try this!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for another great bread, Joie!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Beautiful Joie! How fun that it's from that book.

Elle said...

Gorgeous baguette...must try. Love the tip on cast iron skillet and boiling water for steam. Will try that as well.

ShareThis