25 February 2009

Sourdough Rye Bread



After all of my Sourdough recipes this week, some of you are probably wondering whether or not this is turning into a bread blog!  No, however, I love making good food, that includes bread, and I've been having so much fun with my new sourdough starter that I thought I'd share.  If you are interested in making your own sourdough starter to try this bread, here is one of my past posts where I give directions on how to make it.  This bread was VERY dense.  It made me wonder if I didn't give it enough time to rise.  However it was still very rustic, hearty and satisfying.  Again, I'm sending this one over to Susan at WildYeast for her weekly YeastSpotting event.

Sourdough Rye Bread adapted from Rich B's recipe by Joie de vivre

Ingredients:

4 c. Rye Flour
2 c. Whole wheat flour
2 c. all purpose flour
6 Tbls. wheat gluten
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbls. vegetable oil
1 c. sourdough starter
3 c. warm water

In a very large bowl or a heavy duty mixer, mix together the flours, wheat gluten and salt.  Add to this the oil, sourdough starter and water.  If hand kneading, turn dough out onto the counter and knead for about 10 minutes.  Do the same if you are letting the mixer knead.  Place the dough ball in a large greased bowl, cover with Saran Wrap, and set in a warm place to rise for about 4 hours.

After 4 hours, gently deflate the dough, divide it in two and again set these two balls of dough in separate greased bowls, cover and let rise another 2-3 hours.  Gently shape loaves and place on a cornmeal covered pizza peel or the back of a cookie tray.  Slash the loaves on top with a sharp knife.  This will help them rise in the oven prettier.

Pre-heat your oven with a baking stone in it to as hot as it will get (mine was about 530 degrees F)

Slide your loaves onto the baking stone in your preheated oven.  Spritz the sides of your oven with water from a spray bottle to make steam and quickly shut the door.  After 1 minute, quickly spritz the inside of the oven again to make steam and again shut the door.  Repeat this procedure every minute for the first 10 minutes of baking.  This will help the crust to get crisp.  When your 10 minutes of spritzing is finished, set the oven timer to bake the bread for an additional 35-45 minutes.  The bread will sound a little hollow when you thunk it on the bottom.  Remove to cooling racks and let cool before cutting.

31 comments:

Meg said...

Sourdough and rye together = YUM!!!

Sara said...

I love all your bread recipes! Your breads look so good, I have a hard time with getting the slashes on top to look right.

Robin said...

I have been trying to be a good girl and not eat bread and here on this blog is this lovely loaf! I need bread! But I must be good too. I have been eating my yogurt and adding less and less honey each time and finding I really enjoy plain yogurt. I get the Fage kind from TJ's. I am eating fruits and veggies and lean meats and avoiding desserts. I will have dessert if it is worth the calories and you know alot of times the desserts are not worth the calories- they can be yucky. I have been enjoying the CA straberries that have been in our markets lately, so good. Well in doing all this I am less bloated, have lost some weight and feel better. Yippee!

Cathy said...

Looks great! Nothing like fresh baked bread.

Gera@SweetsFoodsBlog said...

Hi! I want this bread for my breakfast all the mornings, golden and perfect to eat with jam, butter or cream cheese. Excellent Job!!

All the best!
Gera

Unknown said...

It looks glorious! The crust so crusty! Yum.

Best,
Emily
www.justeatfood.com

Anonymous said...

I do love Sourdough Rye bread...it's delicious toasted with butter and served with an Omelette! Oh....I am very hungry now:-)

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Yum, this looks delicious. You are really doing a fantstic job with your sourdough starter.

pigpigscorner said...

Love the crust!

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious! We always prefer rye bread, but we buy it from bakeries. Now I know the recipe, thank you.

Family Cuisine Food And Recipe said...

Thanks for dropping keep up with the good posts!

Chef E said...

I think a few more variances on the forms and you got yourself a new 'day' job...running a bakery! I will make the gluten free side of the store, and we will sip tea in between...oh and the guys can run around in the playroom!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful loaf! I've just begun using a starter, and I'm enjoying learning a new kind of baking.

Reeni said...

That looks fabulous!! So crusty! YUM!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

I've never heard of sourdough rye but I'm positive I would love it because I like both. Keep going with the breads - we all love them.
Sam

Tangled Noodle said...

Sounds delicious! I'm going to forward this to my in-laws for the next time they make those cabbage rolls. This bread would be a great complement!

Donna-FFW said...

All of your bread recipes are so very interesting. They give me some encouragement to try my own, I haven't yet, but I plan soon. Thanks for the inspirations!

Anonymous said...

girl, i had a bread making obsession phase a few months back. i made it constantly!!! the recipes in the booklet that came with the machine are golden.

you will love eclipse because you will see edward in it again!!! thank god!!!! it's an excellent book though.

"the clouds i can handle, but i can't fight with an eclipse." -jacob black

jesse said...

Haha, I don't think anyone would complain even if this DID turn into a bread blog. Your breads look amazing!

Varsha Vipins said...

The crust looks fab Joie..:)

Anonymous said...

LOVE sourdough and rye bread so this sounds great!

NuKiwi said...

Oh, simply gorgeous!!! I can almost smell it...mmmm

Anonymous said...

That's one beautiful loaf! I'll have to make your version :)

Ivy said...

I always wanted to make sourdough but I don't think I'll have the patience to wait all those days until it's ready but then again I may challenge myself to it. Your bread really looks so good.

Dr. H. said...

I really enjoy your blog! It's so refreshing, and real, and balanced.
I have a quick question: I've been keeping an Amish Bread starter for a couple of months--do you know how different it is from Sourdough starter (or, perhaps it's the same?) I wonder if I can use it in your Sourdough recipes. The Amish starter bread (and rolls, etc) does seem to come out a bit sweet--but that may be because I often substitute apple sauce for oil.

Kat said...

oh this looks lovely, i've been meaning to make my own bread for months now, but still haven't gotten around to doing it. i found sonme dry sourdough starter in an organic food shop, wonder if it will work.

Anonymous said...

Aww...That's one beautiful bread ;)

Peter M said...

No no, please do post more on bread...this is most welcome!

Sam said...

That's a beautiful loaf, there's nothing like hoemade bread.

Sweet Cheeks said...

Oh my those are my two favorite breads...together...just seems like too much good in one place....what is a girl to do?

Anonymous said...

Another beautiful bread from you! I'm wondering whether you let the shaped loaves rise at all before baking?

ShareThis