14 February 2009

Ebleskivers with Whole Wheat


I can already hear your question.  Unless you are from a Scandinavian family, or marry into one, you probably haven't heard of ebleskivers.  That's alright, all you need to know is that they are basically a cross between really fluffy, light pancakes and popovers that are in the shape of a ball.  Why?  Who knows why things like this start?  Again, all you need to know is that they are good and worth making.  Unfortunately, you need a special ebleskiver pan.  The pan is circular with seven hemispherical indentations in it where the batter is poured.  To see a picture of an ebleskiver pan, here is the wikipedia entry about them.

This recipe is adapted from my mother-in-law's recipe to use a little bit of whole wheat flour to fill them out a little and to help slow my three year old's voracious appetite down a little.  They ended up being a little heavier, but they were still good.  To make my mother-in-law's version, which is the more traditional way to make them, use all-purpose flour for the entire flour amount.

Ebleskivers adapted from a recipe by Joie de vivre's mother in law

Ingredients:

3 eggs, separated
2 Tbls. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 c. all purpose flour
1 c. whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
2 c. buttermilk.

Directions:  

1.  In a medium sized bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff, set aside.
2.  In a large bowl combine the egg yolks, sugar, salt, flours, baking soda, baking powder and buttermilk.
3.  Gently fold the egg whites into the other ingredients.
4.  Heat an ebleskiver pan and brush each indentation with vegetable oil.
5.  Pour batter in each indentation until 2/3 full.
6.  Cook each ebleskiver until batter starts to pull away slightly from the sides and dry out.
7.  Flip the ebleskivers gently with two toothpicks.  Cook on the other side.
8.  Remove ebleskivers.  Before re-filling the indentations for the next batch, again brush with oil.
9.  Serve your ebleskivers with powdered sugar, jam, and butter (or with maple syrup which is how my boys like them)!


30 comments:

Cathy said...

Those look great. I love hearing about other people's food traditions.

Sara said...

i love ebleskivers. I've been trying to incorporate whole wheat flour into most of my baked goods, so it's nice to see that it works well in this case. Happy Valentine's Day!

Dee said...

Okay...just saying; he is adorable with the "please, I'm eating Mom" look on his face. We did find an Ebleskiver pan at Christmas time. I left it back in Texas & haven't had much opportunity to do much but your whole wheat variety look very nice. Healthy too!

brandin + kari said...

I love this! My husband is Scandinavian, but from NORWAY, so they do not have these apple pancakes. They do make a mean waffle though:)

Bob said...

My work carried those pans at Xmas time this year. I wanted to buy one but I really don't have room for another special purpose kitchen toy. It sucks because I really want some! Heh.

Dewi said...

What a nice morning to open my computer and found this delicious breakfast on my screen. Delicious!
Cheers,
Elra

Julie said...

Sounds yummy..I'll have to try these for my kiddos!

Chef E said...

I love that pan and those look really good! I bet those boys eat their weight in them, lol

In the Indian culture they use an egg poacher to make idles, which I will blog about one day...I am ordering that pan now...

Debbie said...

Thanks for participating in the carrot cake showdown. I can't wait to try it. Ginger...yum. A winner will be chosen randomly and posted later this morning.
I'll be back....

Mediterranean Turkish Cook said...

It's funny; when I was just thinking "what are ebleskivers?" I read your line on how you could hear us question it! Never had these for sure. They do look very soft and I am guessing they taste really good. Your son's picture is cute!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

I've had a pan for years and not ever used it. Very much like the idea of the whole wheat but a family recipe!

Wandering Coyote said...

Those look really cool!

Ha - word verification is "pancove."

Karen said...

These look delicious! Congrats on winning Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day for your carrot cake in the showdown that Debbie (Friday Friends) and I had! Please send me your name and mailing address and I'll get it shipped off to you! bigskycherrypie[AT]yahoo[DOT]com

Anonymous said...

I immediately looked up to dictionary to find the meaning of Ebleskiver when I first read the title, couldn't find. Then I went on reading and learnt a traditional dish. Actually I love learning such recipes from other cultures. But how will I find an Ebleskiver pan now?

Elizabeth said...

Oh wow. Those look delicious. I've never heard of them before.

Netts Nook said...

Those look great. Congrats on your winning carrot cake looked great....

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

No, haven't heard of it but this looks really good.

Happy Valentine!

Unknown said...

looks nice..happy valentines day..

Nicole said...

You know it is funny. My grandfather was full blooded Norwegian but I happened to get an Ebelskiver pan from my other grandmother. I used it once or twice when single then when I got married my husband convinced me to ditch it. He hates how much stuff we have. Yours look so good and I really wish I still had my pan. They aren't expensive but it is the point.

Reeni said...

They looks so delicious! A perfect Valentine's breakfast!

Tangled Noodle said...

I love all iterations of pancake (although I'm sure these predate 'pancakes'). I don't have a drop of Scandinavian in me but that doesn't mean I didn't have a instant connection! 8-)

Admin said...

Thanks for the recipe! I have an ebelskiver pan as well, but have not made ebelskivers out of it. I guess I have no excuse now. :)

Anonymous said...

Only came across mention of ebleskivers for the first time in the last couple of days. Already I'm sure that I'd love them, though not sure if I'd be able to get one of those pans hereabouts! :)

Varsha Vipins said...

Resembles a native snack of mine..will post that soon..:)looks tasty..:)

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

I'm not familiar with these either. However, popovers are one of my husband's family's big traditions, so I'm sure we would like these. Thanks for showing us new things.
Sam

Anonymous said...

They look so delicious--I need to get one of those pans!

Anonymous said...

These look delightful!

Sam said...

I've never heard of them but they look good! It's a shame I don't have the pan.

Robin said...

I have been dying to buy the pan and make these. So some day! Oh and I loved your Valentine Day dinner. The heart shaped meatloaves are just too cute!

Unknown said...

I love that your mother in law gave you that recipe. They look wonderful and you have one happy little boy to prove how great they are!

Emily
www.justeatfood.com

ShareThis