21 February 2009

Thank Goodness for Leftovers Soup


This week, I visited my local butcher who had some fabulous looking pork ribs for sale.  The woman helping me advised 3 pork ribs for a "very hungry man".  I guess I didn't trust her so I bought 7 pork ribs for the four of us because it's so hard to tell how large they are in the case.  It turns out that one pork rib would have sufficed per person, but that also meant I had leftovers!  I used the three extra cooked pork ribs to put together this quick soup.  I'm sending this over to Deb at Kahakai Kitchen for her weekly Souper Sunday round-up!

Joie's Thank Goodness for Leftovers Soup or (Red Lentil, Spinach and Pork Rib Soup) by Joie de vivre

Ingredients:

1/4 c. olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
5 small carrots, peeled and chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 1/2 quarts of chicken or beef broth (I used a combination because that's what I had!)
2 c. red lentils
3 leftover country style pork ribs (or any kind of meat), chopped into bite sized pieces
10 oz. spinach leaves
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

1.  Heat a large soup pot over medium high heat.
2.  Add the olive oil.  Saute the onions and the carrots in the olive oil for about 5 minutes, until the onion starts to brown.
3.  Add the minced garlic and saute for 30 seconds until fragrant.
4.  Add the chicken or beef broth and bring to a boil.
5.  Stir in the red lentils, lower the heat to create a gentle simmer, partially cover the soup pot and cook until the lentils are soft, about 25 minutes.
6.  Stir in the cooked meat and cook for 5 minutes.
7.  Stir in the spinach and cook until wilted, another 5-10 minutes.
8.  Adjust the seasonings and serve!

21 comments:

Sara said...

This looks great, did you use country style ribs or spare/babyback?

Netts Nook said...

The soup looks great thanks for sharing I love using everything in the fridge.

MJPatrick said...

delicious!

Justine said...

leftover soups are the best!

Tangled Noodle said...

I can never resist a good soup and the kind made with leftovers are some of the best! It snowed again last night so we're right back in the middle of winter and soup-eating weather!

Laurie said...

I love soups and love finding some new tried and true ones. Thanks for posting this! :)

Chef E said...

That looks good to me! We like leftovers...

Cathy said...

Looks great! I love soups that combine a little of everything.

Donna-FFW said...

Soup looks wonderful.. What type of ribs? Love using leftovers. Sometimes they make the best meals!

pigpigscorner said...

A great way to use up your leftovers! Looks really delicious!

Reeni said...

How wonderfully comfortng! Sometimes leftovers make the best soup!

Karen said...

My favorite kind of soup-- whatever there is in the fridge and pantry :) This looks so yummy!

Bob said...

Yay leftovers! Great use for them. :)

Dee said...

This sounds fabulous. I love lentils in just about everything. I enjoy the challenge of using leftovers.

Meg said...

Looks yummy!

NuKiwi said...

Now that looks nice!! Both the recipe and the photo.

Mom has promised to share her bean and cornbread recipes so keep an eye out! LOL

NuKiwi said...

Come by my blog when you can to collect an award I have for you! :o)

Katie Lane said...

That looks really good! Thanks for stoping by.

James said...

Nice one - and with the lentils spinach healthy too!

Sam said...

Looks good, leftovers make great soup!

Deb in Hawaii said...

A great way to use up leftovers--it looks delicious!
Just got the SS round up posted. Thanks for participating!

Aloha,

Deb

ShareThis