02 February 2009

Dark and Soft Dinner Rolls


Cold winter weather seems to inspire me to tuck into a nice bowl of soup, and nothing goes better with soup than a nice, homemade bread.  My hubby and sons made these rolls to pair with my wonderfully chunky sweet potato soup.  My boys loved helping daddy shape these rolls, and all day long my three year old kept informing me, "We are making rolls and they have Chaaaaaaaaacolate in them."  I hated to break his heart and tell him I didn't think they were what he was thinking.  I was pleasantly surprised thought that there are faint chocolate notes.  This one was adapted from the King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking Book.  I am sending this post over to Susan at Wild Yeast for her YeastSpotting event.  Have fun baking!

Dark and Soft Dinner Rolls adapted from King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking Book

Ingredients:

2 1/2 tsp. instant yeast
1 cup lukewarm water
1/3 c. orange juice
4 Tbls. unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces
1/3 c. honey
9 oz. whole wheat flour
9 1/2 oz. all purpose flour
1 3/4 tsp. salt
3 Tbls. sugar
2 Tbls. Dutch-process cocoa


Directions:

1.  Combine the water and the yeast in a small bowl and set aside.
2.  In a heavy duty stand mixer with a dough hook, combine all remaining ingredients.  Mix together.  Add the water/yeast mixture.  Mix until very smooth.  You will have to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
3.  Cover bowl and allow the dough to rise in a warm place for 1 to 2 hours until not quite doubled.
4.  Gently deflate the dough.  Divide into 10 equal pieces and shape the pieces into 5 inch x 2 inch oval rolls.  Place the rolls on a non-stick baking sheet.  Cover and allow to rise in a warm place for 2 hours.
5.  Towards the end of the rising time, pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
6.  Uncover the rolls and bake them until the bottoms are slightly browned, 25-30 minutes.  Remove the rolls from the oven and cool on a rack.


31 comments:

Dewi said...

Oh, how delicious this rolls look.
Cheers,
Elra

Being Healthier said...

oh goodness gracious! These look fabulous! I will most definitely come back to this post for a dinner roll recipe next time I make em! Thanks!

Unknown said...

they look perfect..so soft..

Anonymous said...

It sounds like your kids really had fun making these. Please give them my compliments, they look wonderful!

Varsha Vipins said...

They look so tempting Joie..I need it with a bowl of soup now..yummm..:)

Jo said...

These look really delicious and I do agree with you, that a hot bowl of soup needs some warm rolls to go with it.

Wandering Coyote said...

They look great! The dough would make a great loaf, too.

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

They look so good. It's nice to you had some help in the kitchen.

The Duo Dishes said...

Not just chocolate but OJ too. Now that's some flavor!

The Peanut Butter Boy said...

Those look wonderfully dark, I would have thought they'd be more than only half whole wheat flour. They look perfectly light and fluffy though!

Meeta K. Wolff said...

these look wonderfully soft and moist!

Finla said...

Wow they indeed look dark and soft.
Super delicious.

Anonymous said...

I wish *wish* I could bake like that. Perhaps a little more practice is in order before my oven begins churning out anything other than lethal weapons.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by. U have an amazing place here, & your boys are so cute!

Those rolls look darn good... esp with that orange juice in them:-)

Gita Jaishankar said...

Thank you very much for visiting my blog. I loved reading your weight loss ideas...very inspiring :) Chocolate dinner rolls...thats sounds tasty!

Gita Jaishankar said...

Thank you very much for visiting my blog. I loved reading your weight loss ideas...very inspiring :) Chocolate dinner rolls...thats sounds tasty!

Tangled Noodle said...

The chocolate caught my eye, too, as well as the orange juice! What a fun activity for your children and a delicious treat for the whole family.

Chef E said...

Oh, I hope your son did get some chocolate for dessert!

Mistress posted some bread, you girls are torturing me!

Purva Desai said...

rolls look devilish, and are fluffy and soft

Sam said...

I love the colour of these rolls, they look perfect for dunking into a delicious bowl of soup!

Navita (Gupta) Hakim said...

this is such a wonderful recipe. thanks for sharing

Reeni said...

They do look chocolaty! And really delicious!! Crusty on the outside and soft on the inside-perfect for soup dunking!!

Tina said...

I am seeing so many good recipes these days that my list of things to try is growing into a nearly unmanagable pile. haha

This bread looks ownderful and I think having the kids get involved is great.

This doesn't relate to the bread post but about your virtual book club. I read about a book coming out entitled French Woemn Don't Sleep Alone by Jamie Callen. Here is the link for amazon if you'd like to consider it for a furture French reading assignment:

http://www.amazon.com/French-Women-Dont-Sleep-Alone/dp/0806530693/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233637671&sr=1-1

Tina

Kiezie said...

These look wonderful! I love warm home made rolls and my last attempt was a bit of a disaster -- they tasted ok but were a bit heavy, not a good heavy!! I'll have to give these a try!! Thanks for a great post!

Laurie said...

This recipe looks so interesting. I love the ingredients of coco and orange. How wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Wow! These look wonderful -- I've never thought of using honey and orange juice in bread before, its a great idea! Am definitely planning on giving these a try, although I have a feeling they will be eaten up before I get to use them with the soup :)

Mediterranean Turkish Cook said...

They certainly looks soft and yummy. They seem healthy too!

Anonymous said...

Excellent! Just perfect for the soup !!!

Anonymous said...

help! how do I convert oz. of flour to cups? I know that 1 c. = 8 fl. oz ... does that work for dry oz. as well?

Joie de vivre said...

Beth,
You don't have a blogger profile so I hope you get this response. I've always been told that if you use a scale to measure flour, you will have more consistent results. However, I did find this flour conversion table that you may find helpful.

http://www.traditionaloven.com/conversions_of_measures/flour_volume_weight.html

The volume of flour can vary depending on the humidity of the day, however the weight remains consistent. If your bread doesn't turn out, invest in a little scale, they are really not very expensive. I've had mine a while and use it a lot in the kitchen, but I think it was around $15.00. Hope this helps!

Anonymous said...

These are lovely...orange and chocolate are a beautiful pairing! I'm going to be making these for sure.

ShareThis