15 March 2010

An Irish Feast for the non-Irish Joie

I do not have a lick of Irish in me, but I love the food and festivities associated with the day.
Even if you are like me and lack the Irish gene, St. Patrick's day is a day where we can all be Irish.  So lift your glass of Guinness high and get cooking!
On the menu:

Guinness braised corned beef
Whole wheat Irish soda bread with butter
Colcannon
Steamed carrots with butter
Guinness


Guinness braised corned beef by Joie de vivre

Ingredients:

1 corned beef roast
the spice packet that comes with your corned beef
1 bottle of Guinness

Directions:

1.  Place your corned beef in the insert of your crock pot.
2.  Open the spice packet that came with the corned beef and sprinkle on top of the beef.
3.  Pour the bottle of Guinness over the corned beef.
4.  Cover the crock pot and set on LOW for 8-10 hours.
5.  Remove the corned beef from the crock pot.  Trim off all of the external fat and slice the roast into pieces going against the grain of the meat.



Colcannon by Joie de vivre

Ingredients:

2 lb. russet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1-2 inch chunks.
1 bunch of scallions (about 8), white part only, sliced thinly
1 small head of green cabbage, cored and sliced thinly
2 Tbls. butter
1/2 cup 2% milk
1 scant tsp. salt
black pepper to taste

Directions:

1.  In a tall soup pot, place the potatoes and add cool water until the potatoes are just covered.
2.  Sprinkle the scallions on top of the potatoes
3.  Layer the shredded cabbage on top of the scallions
4.  Cover the pot and bring to a boil.  Lower the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
5.  Drain the contents in a colander and return them to the pot.
6.  Add butter, milk, salt and pepper and mash with a potato masher until potato chunks are thoroughly mashed.

20 comments:

Daily Spud said...

Everyone can be Irish on St Patricks Day and it looks like you will be feasting in fine style for the occasion!

Sarah said...

Delicious!

Jan said...

Mmmm YUM! What a lovely feast!

Rhyleysgranny said...

I think the Americans have more festivities than they do here.Is it a holiday there? Your feast sounds lovely and looks good too. Happy Saint Pat's x

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That colcannon looks lovely! What a delicious meal!

Cheers,

Rosa

Talita said...

I've never tried any of these dishes. Everything looks so good!

Tina said...

Gorgeous meal and just perfect for the spirit of St Pats! I'm hoping to make a beef and Guinness pie this evening,

Debbie said...

I always thought that Colcannon was a hard dish to make.... but I can do it!
It looks really good... I love corned beef.

Reeni said...

I don't have any Irish in me either - that I know of! I love colcannon - what a delicious Irish feast!

tasteofbeirut said...

Love to eat this once a year! This year I will be enjoying it with my neighbor Mary who is Irish and from Chicago

Anonymous said...

I love the method of braising corned beef in Guinness, super delicious!

Bob said...

I don't have any Irish either, but I love this stuff. Corned beef is the bomb.

The Duo Dishes said...

An Irish dinner for all! The Guinness on the side is pefect.

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

and the luck of the Irish to ye...

great timely post

MaryBeth said...

YUMM-O....everything looks just perfect. I so enjoy corned beef, I made ours on Sunday since it fell in the middle of the week and would not have the time to make it.

Chris said...

Sigh, I have no dinner planned for tomorrow night or at least nothing St Patty-ish. The guinness beef sounds awesome.

Jeannie said...

Love your whole wheat Irish Soda Bread and corned beef. Delicious!

Anne said...

Oh those potatoes look great- I've never cooked them that way! Happy St. Patty's to you guys! :)

Chef E said...

I made tators tonight, but now it looks like we will eat out! Oh the tators will make a fine side for tomorrow...

Your dish looks great, I hope they have corned beef on the menu tonight!

DK said...

Hey Joie,

I have been meaning to visit your site ever since I saw your comment on mine! Got time today- Wonderful site...I have been meaning to make colcannon and glad to catch your version here..will be posting one soon too!

Cant wait to try buckwheat pilaf too! Will hound your site in leisure - I see many recipes I like :)

ShareThis